Mexican food is easy to make at home and its fresh taste makes the effort worthwhile. For this casual main dish, corn tortillas are filled with chicken and mild cheese and baked in a salsa. If you have more filling than you need-or if some falls out during baking-just spoon it over the enchiladas as you serve them.Ingredients1⁄4 c (60 ml) olive oil
1 onion small
2 clv garlic
2 c (300 g) shredded cooked chicken breasts or thighs-leftover or poached (see Basics)
2 green chillies mild
4 T chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
1 jalapeno chilli pickled
1 c (250 g) thick mild-to-hot tomato salsa or tomatillo-based salsa verde
2⁄3 c (80 ml) pouring (light) cream
8 tortillas (15 cm/6 inch diameter) corn
(185 g) shredded mild white cheddar (or Monterey Jack cheese)
- In a frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over low heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 7 minutes, or until onion is soft.
- Stir in chicken, chillies, coriander and jalapeno until combined.Preheat the oven to 180C (350F/Gas 4).
- In a bowl, combine salsa and cream.In a large frying pan, heat remaining oil.
- Gently heat each tortilla in the oil for 5 seconds; drain on paper towels.
- Spread some salsa mixture over each tortilla, reserving remainder for topping.
- Dividing evenly, spoon chicken mixture down middle of each tortilla.
- Top each with 1 tablespoon cheddar and roll enchiladas up.Spread 2/3 cup (80 g) of the salsa mixture over the bottom of an 18 x 28 cm (7 x 11 inch) glass baking dish.
- Place enchiladas in dish, seam side down.
- Pour remaining salsa over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until piping hot.Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining cheddar and bake for another 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted. .